Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Handsfree.

Right. Handsfree. I think this word, many of you are familiar with it. It just simply means that we don't have to use our hands to control or handle the device/equipment. Most commonly used to refer to a mobile phone headset or a function. Phone company will try to promote their phone by saying that the phone have build-in handsfree with noise cancelling or voice recognition or many other extravagant functions of sorts, that will makes our lives easier, much more convenient and not forgetting fun too...

... So that must be where the fun part comes from when I see people holding their phones with one hand to their mouth (presumably that the handsfree function i.e. loudspeakers are turned on) and the other hand on the wheel, trying to 'expertly' maneuver their car in traffic (and sometimes weaving in and out of traffic). That must be some major skills that I have failed to acquire in driving school. Either that or my driving instructor have short changed me when he was teaching me to drive. I think I might need some refresher course on the 'in' way of driving nowadays.

Oh and I have this Aunt who likes (or loves, I don't know) to talk on her mobile with the loudspeaker. She will make or answer a call and activate the loudspeaker. She will then proceed to shout at (and back at) her phone so that the other person on the other end will hear her loud and clear. My Mom will find this very unnerving because she feels that someone on the other side might be overhearing on the conversation. I have once commented on this because she was shouting away in the house like we, the people around would like to listen to her whole conversation. And she actually gave me an extremely blank look and said "Really???" when I said to her that generally people around don't want to know what was her conversation with the other person was. Either she was being really sarcastic or just plain blur... Knowing my Aunt (or so I hope I know her well enough) that she was just being blur. So till today she is still doing it.

So I personally think the handsfree/loudspeaker functions have been spoiling some of us. If drivers said they can't hear the other person on the other end through the loudspeaker, I'll say call them back later or use a proper headset. A bluetooth headset would be prefect. Without the wiring hassle. Holding the phone with one hand and the other on the wheel still don't count as using 'handsfree' to talk on the phone while driving. And as for people like my Aunt, I have no more comments. I don't think I'll be able to understand her logic either way if she try to explains it to me.

No comments: